About Renewal of passport
Passport once made anew don’t stay for a lifetime. There is an expiry date attached to them; therefore, it is essential to renew the passport when ten years is complete. Ten years period is a standardized time set by the government of India and authority related to visa Seva. It is essential to renew passport as it can come handy in many situations such as being a valid identity proof or for going on short vacations etc.
Earlier, the process of passport renewal was very hectic and time-consuming. This process took up a lot of time and energy of the individuals, but now the new approach provided by the government is helping to make the process less time consuming and easy. Online portals are available now to apply for the renewal.
How to apply for passport renewal?
Passport renewal can be done in easy ways just by following a few simple steps such as the following:
- The online process begins first. An individual is required to open the passport Seva Kendra online portal and log into their account.
Case no existing account is linked with the individual; there is an option to create a nee account by fulfilling the asked steps.
- After logging in, there is a link appearing on the screen saying “apply for a new passport/ renew your passport”. Click on the option.
- An application form appears on the screen asking for some necessary details required for passport renewal. Fill out all the details correctly and proceed to the next page.
- The application also requires some scanned copy of documentswhich have to be uploaded along with the app. They include the following:
- Original old Passport
- Copies of the first two and last two pages of the passport which should be self-attested.
- Copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page which should be self-attested.
- Copy of the page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority which should be self-attested.
- Copy of the validity extension page, if any, concerning the Short Validity Passport (SVP) which should be self-attested.
- The pay and book an appointment option appear next. This option requires a person to pay the amount needed through UPI or debit card mode. One can also pay through challan or via internet banking. After spending the required amount, you can choose for the nearby centre of Passport Seva Kendra and a suitable time to book an appointment for passport renewal.
- Next comes the offline mode of the renewal. The individual is supposed to go through an interview with the original documents on the filled date and time of appointment in the application. Original papers are verified before renewal.
Difference between renewal and reissue of passport
Many people often confusion in understanding the two terms and so, they use them interchangeably. However, they both represent different circumstances. The passport renewal is done after a certain period when it is expired. On the other hand, reissuing a passport can be done at any time. The cases can be, usage of all the pages of the passport booklet, lost passport, damaged visa, stolen passport or correction in specific details written in the passport.
Another critical difference is that in the case of reissue a passport, a brand new passport is being provided to the individual. In contrast, in the case of renewal, no such thing occurs. The old passport is renewed for further use.
The standard time taken for a passport renewal is two-three weeks, but it may vary depending on the renewal process. The standard time for a new passport is, however, 30 days.